Sunday, July 29, 2012

Seat Release

So I was going to tune the carbs but the left petcock decided to leak badly. Gas dripping on the exhaust is not a most excellent idea so that task is being postponed until new petcocks are sourced.

In the meantime I rectified the seat lock issue. The issue is the ignition key does't operated the seat release mechanism. To get the seat off I'm resorted to a spring puller hook thing as my "key". Luckily there is a nice space on top of the taillight that let's you access the area.

The proper way to fix the issue would be to take the lock to a locksmith and have them modify the lock to work with the ignition key, and some day I may do just that. But in the meantime I needed a more practical solution.


I removed the grab bars on each side and this allowed me to remove the seat cowl. There are spacers on the top of the grab rails. One leapt off the bike and rolled to the center of the nearest car. Maybe this wasn't a good idea...

In the meantime I looped a zip tie around the seat release "hook". It's actually pretty secure and I don't expect it to go anywhere.


Once assembled, and I mean after an hour of fighting the spacers on the top mounts, all that you have to do is pull on the tie. Before that could happen I kept dropping the spacers into a well on top of the taillight. I lost count the number of times I had to fish them out.


Now all I have to do is fish out the zip tie and with a quick yank have the seat off. Now if the rest of my issues were so easily solved...

No comments:

Post a Comment