Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Assembly is the reverse of removal

Final chapter in the starter adventures, at least for now. This is going to be a little lacking in details as I was eager to get things buttoned up. I don't have a lot of free time so I have to take advantage of any time I do get.

I got the starter off and it didn't look like it was leaking too much if any, which means the alternator cover is a more likely suspect. I still cleaned the surfaces and gave it a light smear of threebond. I shouldn't have too much more trouble there I hope. Popped back on the starter gear and then the ignition pickups. I made sure they lined up exactly to the score marks I had made earlier. Then the flywheel spacers, shim and bearings and lastly the flywheel.

I assumed the flywheel was keyed but it turns out it isn't. There was a registration mark and I lined in up with the key on the shaft, this also corresponded with the picture I took when I took it apart. See how important that is?

The alternator rotor is keyed so that went on without fuss, although I had to look at the marks to see which end was which. I then tightened the nut with the impact wrench and knocked over the locking.

Here's everything ready for the cover. I only put the threebond on where the gasket was split and several inches to each side. If that doesn't do it then the gasket will get tossed and I'll just threebond the whole thing.

All buttoned up. Next is to refill it with oil, throw in some gas and see if she starts. Before I tore into it I did hit the starter button briefly and it seemed to spin nicely.

Thus endth this part of the Alazzurra saga...

No comments:

Post a Comment