Friday, September 28, 2012

Cleaning the Carbs

I can't get the bike to idle right. No matter what adjustments I would make it wouldn't make any difference. After some consulting I decided to clean the carbs. I have a small ultrasonic cleaner I got my wife for Christmas a while ago. Of course she's never used it. But it's too small and unheated so I sprung for the bigger one. It was on sale for $75 and I had a 20% off coupon so it cost me $60. I also got a gallon of Simple Green HD. Apparently the original Simple Green can dissolve some alloys if you leave them in too long. HD is not suppose to have that problem. I had to go to Home Depot for the Simple Green. I mixed it about 50/50 with some distilled water.



I took plenty of reference photos to know where the parts came off of and so I knew what they looked like before the cleaning. Of course there's a second carb I can also look at but I'm trying to only work on one carb at a time.

My dad bought rebuild kits for his 860GT which conveniently are the exact same carbs as the Ally. I ordered gasket kits so I can replace any parts I steal from the rebuild kits. Of course at some point I need to rebuild the 860 carbs too.

More pictures of the cleaned parts soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment